September 14, 2009

Brunette is the new blonde


Okay, okay. So the title of this post is only relative if you are (like myself) a brilliant brunette. Not that I don't love all my wicked blonde, red, pink, green, and blue haired readers just as much but well, admittedly, I love being a brunette. Sure I went through that awkward teenage faze where I died my hair every single colour under the sun, I had highlights and lowlights, chunky streaks and multi-tonal hues. But by mid-university years I had grown (what I thought at the time to be) wiser and decided to give my hair a rest from all the chemicals and processing I had tortured it with over those few years. And that was when I came to love being a brunette.

It has now been nearly four years since a dye bottle last touched my precious locks and I have to admit, I think my hair loves me for it. So how excited was I when a sample of Pantene's Brunette Expressions landed on my doorstep last week? Too excited probably, but we all know from past posts how I get about my beauty products so I won't get into that. The even better part about discovering this little treat in my mailbox? It was 10am on my day off and I hadn't showered yet. Woo!

It was all the motivation I needed to drag my lazy butt off the couch from a morning of catching up with my PVR. Having a vague recollection of having used the product once or twice before when it turned up in my bathroom at some point during my years away from home, I couldn't exactly recall what kind of "brunette expression" it was meant to promote, so I flipped over the bottles and started reading.

Designed to protect brown hair against damage using Pantene's famous pro-vitamin system, it includes something called prismatic shine enhancers which "boost dark brown tones by protecting against against daily damage and stresses that can dull brown hair". Hmmm, I glance up at my hair in the mirror. I wouldn't say my hair was dull by any means, but sure it could probably use a bit of a boost. I guess there was only one way to find out. Turning on the shower, I jump in (okay, not literally...I wasn't that excited about shampooing my hair, this isn't an Herbal Essence ad after all)

Popping open the shampoo I am a little shocked at the deep brown shade of liquid that comes oozing out. Normally one wouldn't place much faith in a product of this colour, no matter where it is going on your body but especially when it is going on your head. However, the iridescent tone of the brown made me curious and so, on it went.

So, okay...it is a shampoo. There isn't really much you can say about a shampoo. It did everything a shampoo is supposed to do. It foamed and smelled pretty, which are all pluses in my books. No complaints there. Rinse, rinse, and on goes the conditioner. This is where I get a bit more picky. I like my conditioners thick and pasty, I like to really feel the conditioner working its magic on my hair and I was not disappointed this time around. But really, after all those years that Pantene has been around they've obviously been doing something right. So again, there were few surprises here.

But was there surprises when I was dried off, blown out, and straightened down? No, not really. Maybe the product didn't work wonders on enhancing my brown hues because, well, my hair is naturally brown and full of all its own wonderful highlights. Maybe it was because, as I noted prior to my shower, that my hair wasn't really what one would term "dull". In actually fact my hair is pretty shiny on its own. So maybe it wasn't the best product for me to test and maybe some of you out there will love it (or its Blonde and Red counterparts) if you have dull hair or dyed hair or, well, less wonderful hair than me...ha, just kidding!

The complete line of Pantene Expressions haircare products are available now from pharmacies and department stores nationwide. Visit their website for more information on these products and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment