August 19, 2009

SOS! Winter is coming!

I know, I know, it feels like the Canadian summer has just started and here I go bringing up the dreaded winter already. But I promise it is all with good cause.

You see, it all started on Monday. It was one of those wickedly hot days that we have all been wishing for since that last square inch of snow finally disappeared months ago, but that we all despise when it actually arrives. When I arrived home from the gym (in a car without air conditioning!) I wonder how on earth it can possibly be this hot at 10.45am? I climbed out of the car and literally lunged for the cool bliss of my house, I whipped open the screen door but before I could even get my keys into the deadbolt I heard a thump. Looking down I stared curiously at the FedEx package that now lay across my feet. It was addressed to me. Interesting, I thought. I rotated my head slightly to read the upside down return address. I quickly recognized the sender's name as my contact from NIVEA Canada. Suddenly I cannot move fast enough. My fingers fumble to throw my keys in my bag, in my pocket, in the bushes, anywhere really, as I grasp for the package like it will melt away in the sunshine if I don't get to it quick enough. The heat fades (figuratively, and in my mind, literally) into the background as I perch myself on the concrete steps. My inner beauty feign is singing a blissful (and impatient) tune, my heart is humming along in my chest, and my fingers are literally itching to rip apart the cardboard that separates me from whatever materialistic form of happiness I am about to find inside. I force myself to take a steadying breath, insisting that I savor the moment in case I irrevocably screw up this blog and never receive another package of pretty goodies ever again. The pull tab teases me until I finally allow myself to tug. In one swift movement the top pops open and I pour the contents out on to my lap. The largest item immediately catches my eye. NIVEA SOS Skin Relief Body Lotion for Extra Dry Skin? My gaze diverts to the beads of sweat that are forming on my bare arms and legs as we speak. I obviously have no concern for a problem of this type. Who sends out a lotion like this at the height of summer anyway? I ponder this as I toss it back in the box, making a mental note to review it a little closer to 'dry skin weather' and head inside.

Twenty minutes later I am showered and cooled when I turn the boxes contents onto my bed and begin to search out my first review from within. And there it is again, that silly lotion catches my eye once more. Still in my robe I look down at my bare legs, a little dried out from my shave, they are no where near what could be described as 'extra dry skin'. Ah, well, I think, I might as well give it a go. I pop the top, take a whiff, and that is it: I'm sold. From this point on I am pretty sure that no matter what kind of miracles it can or cannot perform on those with any kind of dry skin, if something smells this good I'm going to lather myself in it every single day.

So does it work? I throw off the robe and get down to business.

When described as a fast-absorbing, skin-soothing lotion that will repair and protect against dryness for up to 24 hours, one has to admit it is slightly difficult to be objective in the middle of the hottest month of the year. I mean, I know there are people out there who suffer from extreme dry skin every day of the year, but I have always been luckily enough not to fall into that category. Catch me in February, however, and I will be a grouchy, chappy, dry-skinned mess. So when I woke up the following morning and my legs (which usually cause me the most hassle in the cooler months) were still silky soft and moisturized to boot, my brain literally fast forwarded to the winter and what it would be like to wake up to that feeling every morning. I mean, who wouldn't want a soft, smooth body that smells like flowers (actually calendula oil, I would later discover) every day of those long, gloomy, gray months? Oh, and did I mention its one of NIVEA's best selling products? Well, duh. You wouldn't have to tell me twice. I mean, after all, I was sold with a whiff.

NIVEA SOS Skin Relief Body Lotion for Extra Dry Skin is available now from all major pharmacies nationwide. For more information on this and other NIVEA products, visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment